Millions of people working from their homes and offices are spending way too much time in their chairs. This is a habit that can lead to more than just a numb bum, especially when you consider your longevity. Everyone today is in need of sitting solutions.
Too much sitting sets you up for a host of physical problems including poor circulation, chronic back and nerve pain, depression, osteoporosis, swollen spinal disks, fatigue and many other health problems. In fact, according to Health Day News, Canadian researchers found that prolonged daily sitting could cause these problems even if you exercise regularly.
Stand Up for Yourself
According to the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, the U.S. will spend $1.5 trillion over the next 10 years treating a wide range of debilitating ailments resulting from sedentary lifestyle such as diabetes, depression, osteoporosis, certain cancers, and even sexual dysfunction. They’ve even coined their own term, Sedentary Death Syndrome (SeDS), as a growing life-threatening risk for many unsuspecting Americans.
No need to worry though. You can stand strong with these Sitting Solutions:
- 50/10 RULE: Don’t sit for more than 50 minutes. Set a timer and take 10 when it rings.
- BE A SWINGER: Stand with hands on your hips and legs slightly more than shoulder width apart. Rotate your hips clockwise in a full range of motion ten times and then reverse it. Stand sideways next to your desk. Put all your weight on your right leg and gently swing your left leg forwards and backwards 10 times. Repeat with other leg.
- DON’T BE A CROOKED SITTER OR SLOUCHER: Sit up straight. If you find this difficult, uncomfortable or painful, your spine may have a misalignment with nerve pressure, a subluxation, which your chiropractor can help you correct.
- TAKE YOUR LUNCH BREAK: Get up and go somewhere other than your desk to eat, even if you bring something in.
- GO MOBILE: Attach a portable unit to your stationary phone or use your cell phone.
- HOLD “MEETINGS ON THE MOVE”: Meet clients on a hiking trail or outdoors.
- PUT A LUMBAR PILLOW IN YOUR CHAIR
- INVEST IN AN ERGONOMIC CHAIR
- STAND UP AND SURF: Use an adjustable workstation so you can work while you are standing as well as while you are sitting.
- GO TO THE GYM – but stay off the stationary bike
Take Care of Your Spine and Nervous System
Sitting is as bad for the spine as sugar is to the teeth, except you can’t replace your spine after it rots away. Chiropractic Lifestyle Care will help you keep your spine and nervous system healthy and eliminate the effects of sitting through every phase of life. Find a provider near you today!