Khichadi is commonly referred to as an Indian “comfort food” rooted by tradition. Simple in it’s a porridge-like blend of beans and rice, khichadi is super-healthy with many nourishing and cleansing benefits and is much different then what is known as Western comfort food. This ayurvedic detox food is used to nourish babies and the elderly, aid in the recovery of the sick, and maintain health during special times of detox, cleansing, and deep spiritual practice.1 There is no doubt this nutrient-rich food can help evolve the varieties of healthy flavors in your pallet.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 ½ tbsp Spanish Signature Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp whole Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Ginger powder or 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground Cardamom
- ¼ tsp red crushed pepper (optional)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup whole Mung Beans soaked overnight.
- ½ cup Kasha grains
- 2 ½ cup water
- 2 cups chopped vegetables – like carrots, turnips, celery, fennel bulb, kale or spinach)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- squeeze lemon or lime
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and when they begin to crackle, add onion and saute over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium add ginger and garlic, and sauté a few minutes, until golden and fragrant.
- Add spices, pepper, salt and stirring, toast for a few more minutes. Add soaked mung beans and kasha grains. Add water and chopped veggies bring to a good boil. Cover. Turn heat to low, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Check if mung beans and grains are cooked. Continue cooking for 5 to 10 more minutes if necessary.
- Once it is done, garnish with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Enjoy with Saffron-Turmeric Yogurt.
- a pinch of saffron threads, crumbled with the fingertips
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Pinch of Turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp ground Cardamom
- 1 cup homemade plain yogurt
- Salt to taste, if preferred
- Place the saffron in a small bowl and pour the tablespoon of boiling water over it. Set aside to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron, turmeric, and cardamom to the yogurt and stir to combine. Enjoy your Super-Healthy Ayurvedic Khichadi!
1 Douillard, J., DC. (2013, March 21). What’s So Amazing about Khichadi? Retrieved from https://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/03/whats-so-amazing-about-khichadi