Bone broth has been used in diets all around the world for centuries. The nutrients that bone broth packs in are good for your gut and digestion. Filled with amino acids like gelatin, collagen, glutamine, proline and glycine, it can help boost your intestinal health. (1)
Here is a simple and easy way to prepare a delicious broth packed with all the nutrients you are looking for! Remember, buy organic whenever possible!
- 5 pounds of marrow beef bones
- 5 celery stalks chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 5 carrot sticks chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1-2 white onions chopped into quarters
- 1 whole bulb of garlic sliced in half
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (Optional)
- 20-22 cups filtered water
How to Prep
- Roast bones and garlic bulb on a rimmed baking pan for 30-45 minutes in a 425 degree oven. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Once bones are roasted and slightly browned, remove them from oven and place in a large pot with water.
- Add all vegetables and aromatics except for parsley.
- Simmer on low heat for 24-48 hours on low heat. The longer you allow it to simmer, the more nutrients will be pulled from the bones.
- The last 3 hours place the parsley and any other fresh herbs you like into the pot. At this point you can customize your broth. Some popular aromatics to add are: thyme, oregano, cilantro and red pepper. I like to keep my broth neutral so that I can customize as I consume.
- Remove from heat and allow the pot to cool down to room temperature.
- Discard bones and vegetables and strain broth through a colander or fine mesh sieve.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Next day remove broth from refrigerator and skim off any fat that may have congealed on top. Store in refrigerator.
- Use broth within 5 days or you can freeze for up to 5 months. An easy way to freeze is in gallon size zip lock freezer bags. Fill them and place them horizontal on a cookie sheet. Place them in the freezer. Once they are frozen you can remove them off the cookie sheet and lay flat in your freezer.
An easy alternative cooking method is too place all ingredients in a slow cooker and allow them to slowly simmer for 24-48 hours. Once you have roasted your bones and garlic place all ingredients inside a large slow cooker and start the timer.
Enjoy the flavor and many health benefits of your Gut Healing Bone Broth!