Olives are a staple in just about every Blue Zone diet. Delicious on their own, they add flavor and texture to many dishes and snacks. With this Easy, Versatile Olive Tapenade, you’ll come to love this food of the gods.
It’s true. Olives have been considered sacred in Mediterranean culture for over 4,000 years. According to Greek mythology, it was Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom, who “bestowed upon mankind her divine gift – the olive oil tree.”
Yield: 1 cup / 8 servings
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Using a food processor or blender, add garlic and mince. Then add remaining ingredients and blend until mixture is chopped to desired texture, making sure all ingredients are incorporated.
Note: If you don’t have a food processor or blender, and particularly if you like a slightly chunkier texture, you can finely hand chop these ingredients.
There are dozens of ways to enjoy your tapenade. Here are just a few:
- Use as a dip with fresh cut veggies
- Spread directly or mix with hummus and spread on crackers or toasted bread for a quick snack or appetizer
- Use to top top eggs and omelets
- Put on bread as a sandwich spread or a condiment for burgers
- Replace pickles or relish in your favorite recipes
- Bake it into fresh bread
- Mix it into pasta, cold pasta salad, or polenta
- Spread on pizzas
- Add to salads
- Create tasty baked chicken and fish dishes using tapenade as a marinade
While olive tapenade will last for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, you can also freeze it in ice cube trays and defrost the cubes as needed, extending the life to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 81; Total Fat: 8 g; Carbs: 3 g; Sugars: 0 g; Protein: 1 g; Sodium: 359 mg