One look at the ingredients in this Cleansing Vegetable Soup with Avocado and you know it’s healthy. But, if you skip the garnish, the diced avocado, you’re missing not only a tasty topping, but an incredible number of healthy benefits. Did you know that avocados are actually a type of berry? Sometimes called alligator pear or butter fruit, avocados are packed with vitamins and minerals. They are known for their high levels of healthy fats, which can keep you feeling fuller longer between meals, and slow the breakdown of carbohydrates, which aid in keeping blood sugar levels stable. They are good for your heart and vision, may prevent cancer, reduce depression, and the list goes on and on. So don’t forget the avocado!
Yield: 4 Servings
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- 1 cup green peas frozen, defrosted
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower florets
- 3 cups homemade vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger piece grated
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup chopped spring onions
Heat olive oil in a pot and then sauté red onions until fragrant and golden brown. Add in all the veggies, except broccoli, spinach, and parsley.
Cook for 5 minutes and then stir in tomatoes and broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 25 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.
Stir in broccoli, spinach, and parsley for 5 minutes and then season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a food processor and process until very smooth.
Stir in fresh lemon juice and divide among serving bowls; top each with diced avocado
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories: 482; Total Fat: 28.7 g; Net Carbs: 32.6 g; Dietary Fiber: 18 g; Sugars: 14.1 g; Protein: 11.4 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 653 mg